One of my favourite fish cake recipes. Serves 4 as a starter and takes 35 minutes to make, plus chilling time
- 300g salmon fillets
- 550g potatoes (peeled and chunked)
- 2 tbsp mild curry paste (I use Tikka Masala)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Vegetable oil
1. Put the salmon in a shallow frying pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and poach for 6 – 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
2. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain well and mash until smooth.
3. Flake the salmon, discarding any skin and bones, and stir into the mashed potatoes with curry paste, egg and half of the flour. Season with salt and pepper, then mix thoroughly. Shape the mixture into 4 large fish cakes and dust with the remaining flour. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Heat some oil in a large deep-frying pan. Add the fish cakes to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes in each side until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with salad, yoghurt and lemon wedge.