Inspired by a suggestion in BBC Good Food magazine of homemade pesto made with turmeric, yellow bell peppers and macadamia nuts – I decided to add a spicy twist. The result was this bright yellow spicy pesto pasta sauce. A bit different to your usual pesto, but definitely hits the spot.
- 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted
- Handful of macadamia nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of Crema Piccante Biologica (or other chilli paste)
- Sprinkle of black pepper
- 2 handfuls of penne pasta or similar
Cut the bell peppers in half and roast them under a preheated grill until slightly blackened. Put the nuts in an ovenproof dish and lightly spray with oil. Toast until just browned.
Put all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Stir in the sauce so the pasta is thoroughly coated. Heat through and serve.