- 200g rice
- 200g chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet, cut in half and deseeded
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of thyme
- 1/2tsp of cayenne pepper, paprika and cumin
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large aubergine or 4 baby ones, sliced into 1cm rounds
Cook the rice in boiling water to the packet instructions. In a food processor, blend the tomatoes, red pepper, half the onion, garlic and Scotch bonnet until smooth.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and fry the remaining onion – cut into thin slices – until soft. Add the bay leaf and thyme and fry for a further minute. Add the rest of the spices, some seasoning and the tomato puree.
Fry for a further two minutes then add the red pepper mix and rice. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice sticking.
Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil and fry the aubergine until brown and soft. Stir into the rice mixture once ready and serve.